Skip to content
Did You KnowStaff2013-09-23T20:47:34-05:00
Some Interesting Facts, Fire Safety Related or Not
- That as of July 16th – there were over 33,000 wildland fires covering 3.6 million acres in 2012. Thank you to all of the firefighters that have helped prevent these numbers from being even higher. As Smokey says “Only You Can Prevent Wildfires”. Please contact Clarey’s for your wildland firefighting needs.
- That the youngest athlete at the 2012 Olympic Games in London is 15 years old while the oldest athlete is 71 years old. This just proves you are never too young or too old to follow your dreams.
- That fire extinguishers manufactured prior to October 1984 are required to be removed and replaced at their next 6-year maintenance or hydro-test per NFPA 10. If you have questions about your existing fire extinguisher; please contact us.
- That the amount of manpower and skill necessary for firefighting prompted the institution of the first organized fire company by Benjamin Franklin in 1737. This just proves how smart Benjamin Franklin really was!
- That in addition to our hands-on training for first aid, AED, firefighting, etc. Clarey’s offers various classes through online training programs. This ASHI blended learning delivers emergency care training by combining online lessons with hands-on, instructor-led skills practive and evaluations.
- That according to the Minnesota State Fire Marshal Division; the leading cause of structure fires in 2010 was cooking. 96% of those fires were contained cooking fires. Sounds like a good reason to eat out instead of cooking!
- That according to the NFPA there were approximately 1,140,900 firefighters in the United States in 2006. The total population of the United States in 2006 was approximately 300,000,000. This calculates to approximately one person out of every 265 is a firefighter!
- That carbon monoxide can kill a person in less than 15 minutes. Please make sure that you don’t become a statistic. Make sure that you have a functioning carbon monoxide in your home. Please contact us if you are need a home carbon monoxide unit or monitor.
- That leeches have 32 brains. So why don’t they rule the world instead of humans that sometimes don’t use the one they have!
- That Romanian firefighters could not get their trucks close enough to a burning building, so they put out the fire by throwing snowballs at it. Now that is being resourceful.
- That while Usain Bolt is fast, the cheetah can run almost three times faster at 70 MPH and the peregrine falcon can fly/dive almost 200 MPH! Bolt is definitely the most entertaining runner…the cheetah doesn’t normally pose after finishing a race!!
- That Clarey’s Safety Equipment is your source for all your fire and safety equipment needs including service and training. We are proud to be the distributor for most of the major product lines in our industries. Please contact us information and pricing on your equipment, service and training needs.
- That the “first” Mayo Clinic became known as the “1914 red brick building”. When it was first under construction; skeptics thought it was too big..there would NEVER be enough patients to fill it. Although the saying “If you built it they will come” was about a baseball field; it could have also been about the Mayo Clinic. If you’re every in Rochester, MN at the Mayo Clinic or for any reason; please stop in and see us.
- That more Monopoly money is printed in a year than real money throughout the world. If only Monopoly money was accepted everywhere; how would that stimulate the economy?
- That a house catches fire approximately every 45 seconds in the United States. Make sure that your home has at least one working fire extinguisher, smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector (more is better). Remember it is more important that you and your loved ones get out alive than it is save your belongings.
- That colonial laws in America required each house to have a bucket of water on the front stoop during fires at night. These buckets were intended for use by the initial “bucket brigade” that would throw water at fires. Please check out the Clarey’s Bucket Brigade catalogs available.